Saturday, April 7, 2007

Stone Tablets

There is a book I encourage you to read "Jesus in Beijing" and this is where I first learned of this tablet. I had expected to find a small building with this tablet only but much to my surprise this museum has over 1000 works on display. Earliest ones from the Han Dynasty (206BC to 220AD) This particular stone 279cm high x 99 cm wide was inscribed in 781 the author: Jingjing ( a Nestorian missionary from Persia) it was unearthed in 1623 and collected in 1907. The Nestorians brought the Gospel to China in 635 AD. via the Silk Road.
Today many Chinese attend Bible institutes in China with the vision the retrace the routes of known as the Silk road.





Some of the many other tablets behind a modern day creation.

Here we see a man in the process of producing a rubbing. He first applies then black ink then like applying wallpaper he applies the silk paper, allows it to dry then removes the paper.
Following our visit to XIAN and this museum we flew to Lansou - which is in the centre of China. Very desert like environment and in fact we were in a sand storm that started in the Gobbe desert. The air was filled with a fine yellow sand getting in your eyes and throat, nostrils, ears, hair and clothing. Not healthy because with it are pollutants.
We met a business man who stated that Christianity is a western religion. I had never given it any thought previous but the answer that came to my mind was " Christianity originated in what is Israel and it came to China more than a 1000 years before it came to North America, and while giving this answer I pulled out the rubbing purchased the day before and watched his expression when he read the rubbing from the Nestorians Tablet. God is a Good God.

4 Comments:

At April 8, 2007 at 6:28 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

One more thing to change on your blog...

add the ability to "Link to this Post" that way people can email the article to their friends.

:-)

Happy Easter, I'm home for the first time in 11 years, missing church for - the - first - time (due to illness) - Q and Li Li are sick with fevers and throwing up! Not a fun morning!!

 
At April 8, 2007 at 7:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for including the history behind your pictures. I love history, and I'm enjoying the account of your trip.
And thank you for adding "other" to your blog so I could comment.

 
At April 9, 2007 at 8:50 PM , Blogger Elle*Bee said...

Welcome to blogland! I followed the link from Lala's blog, and enjoyed reading about your trip to China. I think my oldest son (he's 11) will really enjoy your posts so next time he's around when I'm online (it's past his bedtime now), I'll be sure to let him take a peek.

 
At April 10, 2007 at 7:24 AM , Blogger rena said...

That story about Christianity not being a western religion is great. Totally illustrates the promise that we are not to worry about what we will say..just open our mouths and He will give us words.
It was nice seeing you guys this weekend, and I enjoyed your company. Have a great week.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home